|Unit Name||4 Squadron, SAAF|
|Motto||"Mors Hosti" (Death to the Enemy)|
Equipped with the Hawker Hartbees, Hawker Fury and a few Wapitis, Four Squadron was formed in April 1939 at Durban. Disbanded in December 1939, the squadron was reformed at AFB Waterkloof on 24 March 1941 with Hurricanes. Operational training in East Africa was undertaken with the Curtiss Mowhawk before going to Egypt to convert to Tomahawks. In November 1941 the squadron went into action in the Western Desert and later moved to Italy, by then flying Kittyhawks and later Spitfires. Disbandenment came in October 1945 while the squadron was still in Italy.
Reformed in January 1951 at Waterkloof as the Active Citizen force element of 1 Squadron with Harvards and Spitfires, the squadron disbanded once again in October 1958.
On 1 November 1961, the squadron reformed at Swartkop, flying Harvards. In August 1972 the first Impalas were received and the squadron later moved to Waterkloof. The squadron moved house once again to Lanseria Airport, but was disbanded in September 1991.