Raised in 1880 for the Basutoland Rebellion by Mr. Donald Strachan from natives of the Matatiele area of Griqualand East, mainly from the Bhaca tribe, with and eventual strength of 1340, mostly mounted men carrying firearms.
The name means the Protectors, and it was the loyalty of the Bhacas that in all probability saved the lives of most of the Europeans in the North East area of Griqualand East.
Strachan started the corps with 25 mounted men on the 30th September, 1880, and by the 13th November had five troops of mounted men in the field.
The actual date of acceptance of the regiment for service is the 2nd January, 1881, with the full strength as given.
The corps was disbanded in 1882 and again mobilised in 1886 for a short time.
At first many of the men carried assegai and shield, Snider rifles being issued as soon as possible. Dismounted men usually horsed themselves from the enemy, mainly at first Basutu Rebels.
The Abolondolozi had white officers, the adjudant being Captain H.C. Sloley (later Sir Herbert), who received two mentions in dispatches during the campaign.
The regiment served in all the fighting in Griqualand East and had a very good record.