The units that took part in the Cape Field Force have been classified and
this information was supplied by David
and Taffy Shearing (email@example.com)
"Ref CA D/D 6/106: Classification list South African Corps. Return of
the Corps of the South African Mounted Irregular Forces.
These are given a classification of A1, E1 etc as listed. Only units which
served in the Cape Colony are classified.
The following mode of classification of South African Irregular Forces
generally ahs been approved and is to be strictly adhered to in future:
- Class A1 - Designated Cape Colonial Volunteer Corps, all Cape Cape
Volunteer Corps, Mounted Rifle Clubs in existence prior to the commencement
of hostilities since called out for active service bu Government
Proclamation, and placed at the disposal of Imperial Military Authorities.
- Class A2 : As Above but not called out by Proclamation
- Class B : Cape Permanent Forces, only Cape Mounted Riflemen and
Cape Police, both of which are directly under the control of the Colonial
- Class C : Designated South African Colonial Irregular Corps
including all such corps as have been especially raised on account of the
war after the start of hostilities, for General Service in South Africa.
- Class D1 : Designated Cape Colonial Irregular Corps including as
Class D1, all such as have been especially raised on account of the war,
subsequent to the commencement of hostilities, for general service but not
outside the Cape Colony.
- Class D2 : As D1 but only for service in particular districts of
the Cape Colony
- Class E : Designated Cape Colonial Forces, including only such
corps as have already been, or may here after be, placed at the disposal of
the Colonial Government for the defence of the Colony and as such paid for
and maintained wholly by the Colonial Government. (Taffy's note: Class E
was the Colonial Defence Force from January to November, 1901)
There is also a hand-written note on the classification : Extract from
"Conditions of Service and Lists of South African Contingents employed in
South African War, 1899-1902"